Wednesday, April 7, 2010

my Christmas Cactus

...let me tell you about my Christmas Cactus....

it is "quite" old...it's beginnings came to me about 20 years ago from my dear mil, who has now gone to be with the Lord...on one of their visits to Iowa when we lived there..(where i was born, raised, married and raised my children)....anyhoo...she brought me several "clippings" from "mother" plants, who came from various and asundry other "mother" plants that ultimately came from Larry's grandmother, who we affectionately called "Mum Mum"...and where her little clippings came from?...well...that is up to the imagination, at this point...

i would guess she brought me at least 5 or 6 different colors and shades...which also meant 5 or 6 different pots for each one, right?....i was forever grateful for the gift of baby cc's...(really i was)....however, i had found out quite early in my young marriage when my bff's all produced spectacular specimens called plants, flowers and vegetables...that my thumb was NOT green...well...maybe it was...but it was putrid green...because it sure did not help me in that category, not one little bit...in other words.......i really STINK at growing indoor anything!..but i really wanted to "preserve" the tradition and absolutely LOVED the idea of having these little darlings around my house, where i could point out to inquisitive onlookers what a history they have!!!...

so....time went on...and, well, because i was not particularly inclined to "nurture" plants...they all just started looking pathetic to me...there they were...5 or 6 little pathetic pots sitting around my house and instead of luring interest through their infinite beauty...they really just pointed out what a HORRIBLE keeper of plants i was!.......i secretly wanted to dispose of them and forget that i ever tried....but i just couldn't!!!...finally one day i came up with a plan....WHY do i need that many pots sitting around looking so nasty...i just can't find it in myself to murder them......so how bout if i put them all together???....wow, good idea, i thought!!!....ONE NASTY POT is better than 5 or 6 nasty pots, right?..........so i found a large container...and dutifully planted each sickly little specimen!!!

well...somewhere along the line i was told that plants need nurturing...wow...there's a new concept!...(just like people, who knew?).......i was told there was actually PLANT FOOD!....you gotta be kiddin me???........so i got some...and carefully administered the precious life-giving substance...and

VOILA!!........after a few months...my "plants" started thriving and growing and thriving and growing!!!.........oh, i just could not wait to see what beyond fabulous show they would display at Christmas time!!!.........so....the Christmas season approached...i guess...late Fall...and i started seeing little baby buds...(there had been only a few small flowers previously).......and i was exited!!!.........and yup, just in time for Christmas...i did have a display....but guess what?....of only ONE color!...the bright fuschia color...and that has been the ONLY color to EVER bloom since!!!..........and this year...i had TWO lonely fuschia blooms!!!..........

the conclusion is...i am not cut out to raise indoor plants......but i have to say.....despite my horrible management of plant life...these 5 or 6 species continue to live under my care...anonymously, i guess...i still love the memory of where they came from!!!

...now...just one more little tidbit....SOOOOOOOOOO....the other day i realized my cactus was thirsty...so of course i got her some water, laced with PLANT FOOD.......and kind of leaned down into the plant, so as to not spill the water everywhere and all of a sudden i jumped away, spilling the water EVERYWHERE....because i saw THIS in the pot!!!
OH MY VERY WORD OF HONOR!!!..........as soon as i caught my breath...i remembered it was an ornament i had put there last summer!!!.........GOOD GRIEF!!!...........yes...*CRICKETS*........in the brain, for sure!!!

3 comments:

  1. woo hoo!...maybe i will get more comments now!!....hope so! thanx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Christmas cactus is from my Great Grandma Tungsevik (yes, Norwegian). She lived on a farm near Radcliff, Iowa. The farm had it's 100th birthday in the same family a few years back. The house was getting too old to live in, so they tore it down. The Christmas cactus was very near to the house--outdoors! My dad's cousin dug it up and took cuttings to the family reunion so that all of us could have part of the plant. Now it is growing in Washington, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, many parts of Iowa and several other locations. I took the last three cuttings that were left behind and put them all together in one pot. They are doing great!

    ReplyDelete